Europa-List: TCU/Dongle

Subject: Europa-List: TCU/Dongle
From: Hans J. Danielsen <hansjd@online.no>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 13:53:49
To all with early versions of  the 914.

I have a few questions to the group regarding setting of throttle
positions via the data cable and a decoding unit (dongle).

My efforts to get in contact with the TCU  has been unsuccessful so far
- using two different dongles, two different laptops and good help by a
computer expert. One dongle with C/D and a diskett was borrowed from
Europa 2004 -another one from our friend Gert in Denmark. Plugs have
been checked for loose connections - although the TCU itself remains to
be checked (difficult panel removing etc). The TCU  works fine though,
and engine operations and indications are all normal.

In talking to one of the Rotax dealers he shed some light on my problem,
in that early versions of the engine (mine is serial#: 4417826) where
delivered with separate distributer dongles. It's unclear what the
procedure was, but Rotax changed  their procedures on later versions of
TCU's. To put it short: the dongles fitting these versions are
incompatible to the earlier engines/TCU's. The dealer gave me two
choices: either get hold of one of these early dongles or change TCU to
a later version. On my question to get around the problem altogether, to
anchor the aircraft and simply run up the engine the traditional way and
set the required positions, he responded: That's your own decision!
(Any opinions on this procedure??).

Someone out there must have run into the same problem in the past, or
have access to one of these "distributer dongles". Then you will
understand my predicament. An offer to borrow me your dongle shall not
be turned down! I will of course cover postage - or even better: a
generous amount of drinks at a future fly-in!  The dongle will be
returned ASAP after use. Please contact me off list for more details.

Cheers,
Hans, #334 - ready for CAA inspection.