Europa-List: Tyre change

Subject: Europa-List: Tyre change
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 17:57:55

> I am with Karl in tire changing technique. I have a
> nicely primed and painted 1" steel bar about 18" long
> to slide inside the axle.  Several steps but not hard.
> An actual trigear jack point would have been a nice
> design feature.
>
> Its time, after about 70 flight hours to replace my
> main tires again. I've been using new Goodyear Flight
> Special II tires and these prime tires last fewer than
> 400 landings on concrete, both sides losing outboard
> tread at a prodigious rate.

I have a support which goes underneath the tank area. It
has two scissor jacks, with their screws connected
together with a wooden board across the top onto which I
also place a spongey mat.

With this I can jack up the whole of the rear of the
aircraft (with the weight on the nose-wheel and the jacks)
until both main wheels are off the ground. Then dealing
with the wheel and tyres is easy !

I could include a picture - I would need to take it and
the fuselage is not available at the moment :-(

I had a similar "outside edge" wear problem. I have been
told it is because the gear legs were not installed
correctly ! I changed the tyres at 175 hours, but all I
actually did was change them on their rims, so that the
worn part is now on the inside edge. I reckon on that
basis the tyres will last for 350 hours !

Please note that changing left to right without changing
on the rims will leave the worn part still on the outside !!

The tyres are the standard ones.

Richard Holder
G-OWWW Europa Classic tri-Gear High Cross