Re: Europa-List: Another aileron mass balance question

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Another aileron mass balance question
From: Graham Singleton <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 10:30:01

Andrew
It's a good question. Unfortunately I don't know the answer. Rutan had
us add a limited amount of any extra weight to the outboard end of the
elevator only (Long EZ) but didn't explain why.
Must be something to do with the torsioanl resonance. I once bonked the
stick (in roll) on my glider at around 90 kts, one wing bent up and the
other one down. The resulting oscillation was weird, the fuselage rolled
each way 2 or 3 times (damped) but the wings stayed level.
Moral is don't assume you know what will happen.
Graham

--
Graham Singleton

Tel: +441629820187