RE: Europa-List: Damping grease for nose gear

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Damping grease for nose gear
From: R.C.Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 23:57:19

Hi! Svein/Karl/Dean
Really do recommend you to stick to the correct poundage <(18lb(8kg) to
20lb(9kg) with the wheel clear of the ground> breakout of the castor
yoke and never tempt the shimmy, because when it happens it is dramatic
and is most likely to disintegrate your nose wheel spat.
The new "grease" seemingly is an excellent friction material. However
don't in any way overload the castellated nut either.
Also IMHO I would in future completely remove the yoke, certainly
annually, degrease it and inspect the spindle to yoke fixing. ( it's
only held in by loctite and a 1/4" roll pin.)
To check the breakout force tie a piece of rope to one side of the axle
extend it round the rear of the wheel make a loop on the loose end and
hang a spring balance into the loop to pull the rope until the breakout
force is reached.
Still awaiting the AAIB report on my spindle /yoke coupling failure and
I haven't been the only one to have an incident.

Regards
Bob Harrison. G-PTAG