RE: Europa-List: Mod 72 question

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Mod 72 question
From: R.C.Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 09:34:31
Hi! Tom
 This is now two photo's of failed items I've seen which, IMHO I have to
agree 100% with you every indication of fatigue is there. My training is
likely "old Hat" particularly considering modern alloy extruded tube but
I wonder what traceability exists of annealing/stress relieving :-

a)  done to these and all frames ? (do certificates exist and where?)
b) what such heat treatment is actually called up on the metals and
complex joints in question?
c) what investigation has been undertaken with Rockwell Hardness tests
over the whole of the failed frames and in particular close to the
failure?

This is all shutting the gate after the horse has bolted but in the
total shape of things we need to know along with the question will new
ones be produced with up rated tubes and will they have an appropriately
designed heat treatment with a certificate?
NB I do have evidence that my nose leg has been "normalised".

Regards
Bob Harrison. G-PTAG

Robt.C.Harrison