Re: Europa-List: Mod 72 question

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mod 72 question
From: Tom Friedland <96victor@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 20:51:32
Hi Graham

I doubt that you will get an answer what caused the break.  It looks to be
that it was most likely a tension break with perhaps some fatigue factor.
The upper tubes will have tension in the upper parts and that will be
increased by the thrust.  There also could be some problem with non annealed
brittleness from the closeness of the weld.

The lower tubes should be ok as they have tension stress from weight bearing
but that is cancelled by compression.

But then what do I know.  My engineering studies were 50 years ago!  Now I
am just a dumb doc.

Tom