Europa-List: Retro Fitting MG Wings

Subject: Europa-List: Retro Fitting MG Wings
From: Jim Butcher <europa@triton.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 22:10:01
We are trying to retrofit glider wings to our XS fuselage. We completed
the spar bush installation per Chapter 8 with no problem. Moving to
Chapter 27a, we are able to fit the port wing to the fuselage and insert
the EUR047 bolts. The top skin of the port wing forward of the spar does
just touch the fuselage. However, we are unable to fit the stbd wing. It
seems as though the wing will not go far enough into the fuselage, by
about =BC inch. The top skin of the stbd wing forward of the spar is
hitting the side of the fuselage and preventing the wing from sliding in
as far as necessary. We also notice that the gap between the GDG01 jigs
and the lift drag pin sockets (W26 & W27) on the stbd wing is large -
over =BD inch while it is small on the port wing - 1/8 inch. Is this a
common problem and is the solution to trim the top skin?

We have also noticed that the flap cross tube FL15 hits the top skin of
the wing on both sides. Is the solution to trim the top skin to clear?

When fitting the short wings to the fuselage, we stretched a string from
wing tip to wing tip to check for sweep (Chapter 27-4). The MG manual
does not include this step. It only requires measurement of the wings
---From the tailplane torque tube (Chapter 27a-2). Should we also check
sweep with a string as before?

Finally, the thickness of the spar bushings seems to be greater on the
MG wings. Is a different length spar pip pin required?

Thanks

Jim & Heather Butcher  N241BW