Re: Europa-List: Monowheel, gear warning or just GUMP?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Monowheel, gear warning or just GUMP?
From: Jim Naylor <jimnaylor.44@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 18:02:09

Yes I know of three wheels up landings, and actually witnessed one. Also got
close to doing it myself, but fortunately realised the 'picture' was not
right. If the runway is on an up slope, then the view can look like a normal
approach attitude with the gear and flaps down. I saw this happen on a grass
strip. The pilot said everything looked normal on the approach, and didn't
know anything was wrong until the crunch happened. Also know of two
incidents where wheels up landings happened after distractions - bulked
landings, bad weather etc.
I have designed a system using a pressure switch (same as the one used in
the factory stall Warner) connected to a separate pitot tube. The pressure
switch operates a buzzer if the air speed falls below 70kts with the gear
retracted. A micro switch fitted to the landing gear cuts out the buzzer if
the gear is down. Simple and very effective - almost idiot proof!
Jim Naylor