Re: Europa-List: 912S engine vibration

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 912S engine vibration
From: Kim Prout <kpaviat@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 13:27:39
The gearbox should be serviced by qualified personnel with proper equipment
.
Having said that, the equipment needed is a hydraulic press with the correc
mandrel to compress the disc springs that are used to =B3pre-load=B2 the
assembly against the driving dog hub. You can check the pre-load as part of
the normal inspection process. Lock the crankshaft in place and use a sprin
scale to pull the propeller back and forth to determine the sliding force
needed. The newest bulletin regarding this states the friction pre-load to
be higher than before. I can=B9t remember the bulletin numbers but check out
the Rotax list for that. If you have a slipper clutch, the check is similar
but I believe the pre-load values are different. You can get the exploded
views for the parts on line or check out the parts manual. The overhaul
manual provides details also.
When the gearbox is removed, you can easily check the condition of the
primary gear set.
Be sure to use the approved engine oil(s) that contain a gearing additive.
Rotax does not allow you to add your own gear oil to the motor oil.
Hope this helps!
kp