RE: Europa-List: Location of compass

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Location of compass
From: R.C.Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 06:04:14
Hi ! John.
My compass is mounted on top of the panel on a/c centre line and I
haven't noticed any bad effect from instruments in 6 years.
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

Robt.C.Harrison

JohnDHeykoop@aol.com
Sent: 03 August 2006 23:51

When five or six years ago Andy Draper gave me a demonstration flight,
the compass fell off and rolled on the floor. It happened as we taxied
back to the hangar, but had it happened during a critical stage of the
flight it could have been potentially dangerous.

In view of this experience my strong preference is to fit the compass on
top of the instrument module, where it will be more secure. I know that
some Europa owners have gone for this option, even though the standard
advice is to keep the compass as far away as possible from other
instruments, particularly the tacho.

My question is this: have those builders who have fittted the compass on
top of the instrument module experienced unacceptably large false
readings caused by magnetic interference, or is the magnetic
interference only a minor problem?

John
XS mono G-JHKP (2000 build hours to date, panel wiring 90% complete,
engine installation next)