Europa-List: Location of compass

Subject: Europa-List: Location of compass
From: JohnDHeykoop@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 18:50:55
When five or six years ago Andy Draper gave me a demonstration flight, the
compass fell off and rolled on the floor. It happened as we taxied back to the

hangar, but had it happened during a critical stage of the flight it  could
have been potentially dangerous.

In view of this experience my strong preference is to fit the compass on  top
of the instrument module, where it will be more secure. I know that some
Europa owners have gone for this option, even though the standard advice is to

keep the compass as far away as possible from other instruments,  particularly

the tacho.

My question is this: have those builders who have fittted the compass on  top
of the instrument module experienced unacceptably large false readings
caused by magnetic interference, or is the magnetic interference only  a minor

problem?

John
XS mono G-JHKP (2000 build hours to date, panel wiring 90% complete, engine
installation next)