Re: Europa-List: Oshkosh by air - return by Avis

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Oshkosh by air - return by Avis
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 05:05:08

Hello Richard

"Comments anyone with a 914 having similar problems"

I am not yet flying my 914, but have a pretty good in site.

Do you have a Differential pressure gauge? Was it less than 2 pounds?

If you don't have one, why not?

Was your EGT high? Running out of gas will create a lean mixture and show
high on EGT.

What fuel schematic you using? Parallel or series with bypass?

What type of filters you using and where are they placed? If Parallel do
you have a filter at the inlet of each pump? If series with bypass is 1
filter on inlet of pump 1 and the other at the inlet of checkvalve where
it can only supply pump 2.

It sounds like you are running out of gas. The very first think to check
is make sure the vent on your fuel tank is allowing air to get into tank.
If air can't get into tank, after a while fuel will not be able to get
out.

See:
http://www.sarangan.org/europa_forum/2005-10/index.html
Search: Rob Neils Ron

Do you have any gasculators? If so is it a Mini Andair? Did you clean the
gasculator filters?

Have you ever run for any reason with no filter going to the fuel pumps?
There are filter socks in the inlet of the pumps that could be clogged.

Very careful inspect all the vacuum/pressure hoses on the 914, especial to
one supplying the diaphragm of the fuel pressure regulator, and the hoses
going from airbox to solenoid valve, and from the solenoid valve to the
float bowls of the carbs. A crack, leak or restriction will do no good for
proper running. These are critical on a 914.

Check for kinked or restricting hoses from outlet of tank all the way to
engine.

Did you try reserve? I heard that 1 guy in England had animal hair sneak
past the snake catcher filter on tank outlet, and became a sort of spider
web that collected debris and clogged outlet, so could be outlet of tank
clogged.

You mention you saw 20GPH on each pump. I suspect the test you did was
useless. Read on Rotax service manual how to test flow of pumps. You want
to make sure not only the pump has an OK flow rate, but bottom line is you
need to be able to persuade the fuel pressure regulator to overcome 115%
airbox pressure, that takes flow and pressure. Worst case is at altitude
where pumps need to make more pressure over ambient to net 2 to 5 pounds
over airbox pressure.

I recent posted how to obtain manuals and how to update them.

Good Luck.

Let us know resolve.

Sincerely
Ron Parigoris