Europa-List: Re: stalls & spins

Subject: Europa-List: Re: stalls & spins
From: Mark Burton <markb@ordern.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 03:10:54

paddyclarke@lineone.ne wrote:
> Hi Mark,
> I'm sure we can agree that no instruments are needed in the flare -
> my attempt at a bit of levity obviously didn't come through!
> I am a great fan of your talking ASI, it's a valuable contribution to
> flight safety and I would certainly have fitted one if I didn't have
> an AoA indicator. It is also much easier to retrofit, though it does
> depend on the validity of the target airspeed. To look at the
> indications of an AoA you have, of course, to glance inside - though
> mine is fitted at the very top of the instrument panel, so I might
> just pick up the bright lights in my peripheral vision.
> However, one day you may be making a rather tight turn onto final,
> roll on a bit of extra bank to stop the tailwind blowing you through
> the C/L, then pull rather sharply back as you realise you've let the
> nose drop - just as you hit the turbulence from the top of the big
> hangar. An American lady giving you a harsh rebuke may just save your
> life, whereas the English lady would be quietly content. After all,
> your airspeed is exactly the number she's been told to expect.
> All the Best, Paddy

Hi Paddy,

I agree with everything you say here except the bit about the turbulence because
if the wind speed (relative to the aircraft) changes rapidly, the talking ASI
will pick that up as quickly as the AoA instrument does. As you point out, the
real benefit that AoA gives over airspeed is the detection of the
accelerated stall. It did occur to me during development of the talking ASI that
by adding an accelerometer the widget could take into account the higher
Perhaps I should investigate that idea further.

I've said enough now, everyone must be bored to tears.

If anyone wants to discuss the talking ASI further, please send email to
enquires@smartavionics.com

Regards,

Mark

Read this topic online here: