Re: Europa-List: FW: Oshkosh Accident

Subject: Re: Europa-List: FW: Oshkosh Accident
From: BEBERRY@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 08:09:38

nwcmc@tiscali.co.uk writes:

I think the main  point is that if you wish to fly cross controlled on the
approach just make  sure you have plenty of margin above the wings level stall

speed. This is not  just for Europas but for any aircraft. I fly cross
controlled approaches in  strong cross winds with the B777 as does the autopilot
when
I let it but in  those conditions I would make sure the speed remains well
above the minimum.  Having said that excess speed can also be a problem going
into small strips.  If the conditions are challenging you probably would not be

attempting that  anyway.
Nigel  Charles

Thanks for the comments.  As always it boils down to having a good  speed
margin.  I regularly use an 800 yd grass strip and never have trouble  in
stopping in half the length even with 10+ knots above min approach  speed.

Patrick