Re: Europa-List: Charging problems

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Charging problems
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 12:20:31

BEBERRY@aol.com a crit :

> My alternator (generator) has always been a bit reluctant to come on line
> and would only do so at quite high revs.  The little red light has now
> decided

> to stay on all the time and no amount of reving and switch throwing will
> induce it to go out.
>
> Before I start to strip out all the gubbins between me and the generator to

> get at the thing, can anyone help by suggesting where I should look first for

> a  possible minor faulty connection or whatever.?  Initial searches have been

> non productive.

Patrick,

 From your signature, your engine seems to be a 914.
In order to be of assistance, a schematic of your circuit would be a
great help.

In my opinion, a fault in the alternator itself is very unlikely.
The problem may lie in the wiring and/or regulator.

Have you installed the required capacitor ?
Is your battery in good shape ? We have discovered that the Rotax
regulator won't sart to life unless submitted to a significant voltage.
Is your rectifier/regulator correctly wired, and is it connected to a
suitable ground with a wire of sufficient gauge ?

Regards,
Gilles Thesee, Rotax 914 powered MCR 4S
Grenoble, France
http://contrails.free.fr