Europa-List: Re: Shoot Bolt Guide Clearance Question

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Shoot Bolt Guide Clearance Question
From: europa flugzeug fabrik <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 18:08:26

EuropaXSA276@aol.com wrote:
> It appears that the guides in the aft end of the door already rub on the
> fuselage
frame leaving little or no room for the aft frame guides later on. The aft
guides are seated as far as they will go without partially cutting out more
door material around the collar area of the guide to seat it further back.

If the guides rub, you should be able to grind 'em down, after installing the
door.
Only a little bit of "brim in the guide hat" needed.

As sidenote, rather than just holes in the fiberglass for the shoot bolts which
will wear, I bonded in bushings made from I think 1/2" tubing from the hobby
store.  Brass or aluminum. That way the doors can be perfectly flush to the
fuselage
side, since they were cured with the door closed and bolted (waxed obviously
too).  Mine still rubbed a little when flexed, thinking ahead of closing
with prop spinning.  So....removed a bit of the epoxy around the hole in the
fuselage, sort of like installing a residential door hinge.  From said hobby
store:
thin, shiny stainless steel sheet.  I bonded that in as a striker plate.
Even brought it around the corner, so that the nothing will strike any painted
surface.  That feature of it is one less thing which looks like a homebuilt,
at least.

Reg,
Fred F.

Read this topic online here: