Re: Europa-List: Diesel-Air engines???

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Diesel-Air engines???
From: Chris Beck <n9zes@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 20:55:46

Duncan McFadyean wrote:

>I was offered a prototype to install in a EUropa, albeit at that time it was
>"estimated" at 100kg weight (+exhaust, +radiators, +water, +oil, +heavier
>battery, +bigger battery etc ..and so it goes...).
>However, both this engine and (IMHO) the WAM are to heavy for a Europa, if
>it is to retain its originally intended "mission profile".
>But if you enjoy experimenting and are prepared to compromise the overall
>performance of the Europa, then it could be for you!
>
>This comment will open old wounds, but look at just how successful the
>Subaru has been (or why is it that Subaru-Europas command a relatively poor
>resale value, sometimes with the statement "..would make good Rotax
>conversion project....").
>
>Duncan McF.

Thanks for the comments everyone.  The Rotax is a great engine and a
good match for the Europa, indeed.  But, to me, "real engines don't have
sparkplugs".  I'll put a diesel wherever I can.

On that same note, I realize that there are few options that are as
proven, reliable, and overall good performing as the Rotax.  Coming up
with a diesel as light and compact as the Rotax with the same power
output isn't going to be easy.  And, the Rotax has a pretty darn good
TBO on top of that, save the issues with the sprag clutches and kickback.

We've got a long way to go before we're flying ours, due to a 'family
detour' of having a wonderful son to raise, but he's a big-time
prop-head, so I've got a great helper to start into learning.

Chris