Europa-List: 914 Backfiring

Subject: Europa-List: 914 Backfiring
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 21:06:58

I have run the engine several times in the driveway.  This weekend I have run it
fully cowled up to check temperatures.  Things looked good at leat for the
length
of time I ran it without disturbing the neighbors too much.  I had several
comments to the fact that "at least its not as loud as a Harley". So I guess
I am OK as there are several of them in the neighborhood.  Had to re-adjust
the throttle stop to find a happy medium between having the choke circuit work
upon starting and high rpm level required to keep the gearbox from chattering.
1700 rpm seems to be about it.

However the only fault discernable the 5 times or so that I ran it was that I
got
a  backfire of one loud pop every time I stopped the engine. This did not happen
on the  previous  runs.  I stopped the engine per the Rotax tech"s suggestion
of turning one mag off first  then killing the engine finally off the  remaining
mag.  Has anyone seen this on their 914?

I have posted some photos of N40SH A143 on the builder's log on the builder's
gallery
it is  the last album with 8 photos.   It is untitled as  I had some problems
naming it.  Hope to be flying before it gets too hot.

Steve Hagar
A143 Mesa, AZ

Steve Hagar
hagargs@earthlink.net