Europa-List: Re: Alternator

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Alternator
From: rlborger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 17:24:32
is 10% to 20% HTML obfuscation

Paul,

I purchased the alternator and supporting material through
FlightCrafters ( http://www.flightcrafters.com/ ) for something on
the order of $700.

Since the Grand Rapids Technologies EFIS supports four CHTs and four
EGTs, and they provide the hardware for all those sensors, there was
no reason not to use all of them.  CHT input uses the two sensors
provided by ROTAX and two ring-sensors provided by GRT that appear to
go on between the spark plug and cylinder head.  The four EGT sensors
are provided by GRT and they go in the openings provided by ROTAX in
the exhaust manifold.

Since I haven't mounted the engine yet (not too much longer, I hope),
I can't say for sure where the cooling air will strike the sensor.  I
do plan to try to install some baffling which will attempt contain
most of the cooling airflow across the  cylinder fins and not let it
get to the cylinder heads.   We'll have to see how that work goes.
If it does work, the cylinder heads will only be liquid cooled  and
it may be of some importance to have four CHT sensors.

Great plans and all that...

Good building and great flying,
Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Mono, Intercooled 914, Airmaster C/S
http://www.europaowners.org/N914XL
(85%) tail kit done, wings closed, cockpit module installed, pitch
system in, landing gear frame in, rudder system in, outrigger mod in,
Fuselage Top on, lift/drag/flap pins in, wing incidence set, tie bar
in, flap drive in, Mod 70 done.  Baggage bay in.  Working in - 24
Instrument Panel, 25 Electrical, 28 Flaps, 29 Main Gear, 30 Fuel
System, 32 Tail, 34 Door Latches & 35 Doors, 37 Finishing.  Airmaster
arrived 29 Sep 05.  Seat arrived from Oregon Aero.  Preparing ROTAX
914 for installation.
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208
Home:  940-497-2123