RE: Europa-List: SL-30

Subject: RE: Europa-List: SL-30
From: Rob Housman <robh@hyperionef.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:25:06

Apparently the factory folks never checked the dimensions of commonly
installed radios.

I wanted to avoid encroaching on the already limited knee room, so rather
than simply mounting the entire panel with a spacer at the firewall I
modified the radio stack portion of the panel to increase the depth
sufficiently to clear several of the Garmin products.  First I made a
"splash" of the original radio stack area with a layup of several layers of
bid using plastic film as a mold release.  Then, using that as a  mold I
made a new piece that exactly matched the original, but with the needed
increased length.  From there is was a straightforward cut and  paste using
the usual fiberglass methods to attach the new face to the panel in place of
the original radio stack.  Of course, this scheme required the same
fill-and-sand tedium that is needed on the entire exterior of the airframe,
but it was good practice.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
A070