Europa-List: Re: Throttle cable failure

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Throttle cable failure
From: Erich Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:58:28

Sorry to learn of yet another throttle cable failure.  Fortunately it occurred
on the ground.  I fear that this will not be last failure to be reported with
the next chap not being so lucky.  As I have posted several times over the years
on this forum good engineering practice would not call for the use of a stranded
wire cable for compressive loads.  The stranded wire cable used in Europa
throttle quadrant is especially vulnerable to kinking and fatigue failure.
Just because it hasn't failed on you yet doesn't mean it won't.  It is only a
matter of time.
How many certified aircraft do you see using this type of arrangement?  Most use
a solid wire vernier/bowden cable...which is most suitable to the task.  The
good news is that the Europa throttle is easily modified for use of a solid wire
bowden cable.  I will not go into the details on the modification as it can
be found in the archives.
Regards,
Erich Trombley P.E.
N28ET Classic Mono 914
For some reason yet to be determined this message will be repeated by Juno.  I
apologize.