Europa-List: Voltage Regulator Failure

Subject: Europa-List: Voltage Regulator Failure
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 23:43:20

Tim

> Hi Europaeans, Fixed the Regulator/Rectifier problem.
> Had  the unit checked out by a Rotax agent here and all
> was OK. So back to tracking it down with the voltmeter.
> Before re-installing the DIN plug to the
> Regulator/Rectifier I cleaned the terminals and checked
> the crimping. I then made sure the connections were
> good and plug FULLY installed. I noticed then the plug
> had gone in a lot further from when I took it out. Ah
> Ha. So started up the engine and hey presto!! it was
> charging the battery. Conclusion; Vibrations, I think,
> must have caused the plug to slip down, despite the
> plastic holding brackets and caused a stator terminal
> to not connect sufficiently well.The plastic brackets
> certainly do not hold it securely in place.

I wish I could be so optimistic. Mine went on and off
several times, Normally at the flare stage of the flight,
and then worked perfectly the next time I tried it.

I tried various cabling fixes and each time it was OK and
then it wasn't OK.

I changed the regulator and that one was faulty in another
way (since returned).

I opened up my original regulator and re-soldered three
possible dry joints. Worked so far but no real test as the
wx has been bad (and I am fiddling with the oil thermostat).

As I said to someone, if the external wiring is OK and the
regulator is at fault then it can either be a dry joint
(which will normally mean it fails intermittently) or a
component failure, which means it fails and stays failed.

The black plug goes in so that the retaining clips just
pass their notches. It is possible that the faston connectors
weren't all the way into the black connector. They have
small tangs on them to keep them in place - if you used
the ones that came with the regulator - fine; if you used
others then the chances are that they didn't have tangs
and the connector could have been pushed out (or rather
not pushed in enough)

This is why I asked whether your regulator failure was
intermittent or permanent.

Anyway I hope that your problem is fixed. The engine will
run for a long time with no charge !

Maybe we should all carry a spare at all times :-(

Best wishes

Richard
G-OWWW High Cross