Re: Europa-List: Mod 61 - Stall warner questionMod 61 - Stall warner que

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mod 61 - Stall warner questionMod 61 - Stall warner question
From: Andrew Sarangan <asarangan@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 09:56:08

Thanks for that explanation. Here is a technique that I think might
work better (assuming I understand it correctly). My wingtips have
cutouts for the installation of nav lights at the leading egde. That
gives me access to the ribs in front of the spar. The rib we are
looking for is the second one from the tip. The first one (and
presumably all) have small holes for pressure equalization. I can push
a long wooden dowel through the first rib until it hits the second rib,
and get an exact measure of its distance from the tip. Then I transfer
that distance (minus 0.5" for the flange) along the leading edge and
drill the hole. Does that sound right?

I could not find Neville's posting in the archives on using a light
bulb to locate the distance. If anyone can send me a reference, I would
appreciate it. Thanks.

--- Roger Mills <Roger.Mills@btinternet.com> wrote:

> <Roger.Mills@btinternet.com>
>
> I personally found the welding wire to be a little too flexible to
> allow me
> to confidently find the position. In the end I used a much stiffer
> 3mm
> brazing rod and eyeballed it using Neville's technique. To confirm
> the
> "eyeballed" position I found that a DIY stud finder also found the
> position
> of the rib quite accurately and, to be triply sure, a DIY pipe finder
> also
> confirmed the brazing rod tip position. (I needed a bit of
> re-assurance
> before drilling the leading edge possibly in the wrong place!!)
>
> Roger Mills
>
> Europa 141

Andrew Sarangan
http://www.sarangan.org