RE: Europa-List: Cold starting problems

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Cold starting problems
From: nigel charles <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 19:35:40

>>Can anyone tell me - is it possible to remove the starter without
taking the engine out in a 912 classic?<<

The Classic engine mount obscures the starter from removal with it in
situ. Its close proximity to the engine also means that the more
powerful starter cannot be fitted. Modifying the frame is not possible
as the area that needs modification also happens to be the position of
the head of the top starboard engine mount bolt. Any upgrade to the more
powerful starter means changing to the XS mount which means a full
upgrade to XS firewall forward. I have done this and the new starter
seems to solve the kickback problem. With this in mind I would say that
the combination of the Classic and the 912S is not good unless you like
regular sprag clutch replacements.

>Conrad seems to be pretty well booked up at present - has anyone used
Adrian Lloyd? If so (and he is any good) - does anyone have a contact
number for him (or anyone else that can be recommended).<

Adrian replaced my sprag clutch for me. He has done quite a few now. I
can fully recommend him. His number is 01885 482504.

Regards

Nigel Charles