Re: Europa-List: Cold starting problems

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Cold starting problems
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:25:57

> We are still having tremendous problems getting HI
> started in the cold. We've replaced the battery but the
> engine still shakes violently when cranked and seems to
> run in whats been described as 'sub idle' before we
> execute a somewhat rapid shut down.

> Trawling the archive gives me the very strong
> impression that our sprag clutch is due for the bin but
> I'd rathter get someone familiar with Rotax starting
> problems before changing such an expensive part (or
> getting it done more like!) and finding out that its
> one of the carbs!

> Can anyone tell me - is it possible to remove the
> starter without taking the engine out in a 912 classic?

Mine is an XS firewall forward so I am not certain, but I
believe a starter motor out job on a classic f/f/w
requires engine out.

> Conrad seems to be pretty well booked up at present -
> has anyone used Adrian Lloyd? If so (and he is any
> good) - does anyone have a contact number for him (or
> anyone else that can be recommended).

Adrian changed mine for me, in situ. I recommend him !

> Really need to get this sorted before the starter or
> engine frame quits.

What I am nor sure of is whether the shaking is caused by
the worn sprag clutch or whether the worn sprag clutch has
been caused by the non-starting and kick-back.

The kick-back is caused by the starter just not being man
enough to do the job. (912S). Adrian put a HD starter on
for me and the engine starts instantly now.

If yours is a 912 then Peter Jeffers may help - he was
having similar problems and changed his sprag clutch at
around 1000 hours.

I understand that the HD starter motor will not fit inside
the classic engine mount. It is only a matter of 1/4 inch
or so. Maybe some judicious cutting and rewelding might
work (if approved !) or a large hammer ?

Richard