Re: Europa-List: Rotax 914 question?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rotax 914 question?
From: Jim Brown <acrojim@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 17:34:59

Alen

Allen in my normal cruise I run the 914 at 5300 RPM and 34" MP When I am about
10
minutes from landing I start to reduce the MP pressure one inch, then run about
two minutes and reduce the MP another inch, and so on, until I'm at  28 or 29"
MP. At this point the turbo is not producing any boost, and then it will start
spooling down. By the time I land the turbo has cooled down to normal temp's and
I shut down the engine, once I'm parked.

Turbos generate a lot of heat when they are being used. I find its better for me
to cool it down in the air rather than set on the ground and run the engine for
five minutes, before shut down. Besides here in Florida ground running for 5
minutes with a heat soaked engine means the coolant will overflow!!!!!!

Jim Brown
N398JB