RE: Europa-List: locator beacon

Subject: RE: Europa-List: locator beacon
From: Richard Iddon <riddon@sent.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 13:15:08

Thanks Mike, a useful article.

As you say, officially it is only for maritime use. However, I phoned
the maritime base for registering the unit and they were quite happy for
me to register it with them. Also I note now that Adams aviation are
offering the same unit (for 446 pounds, I paid 299 at a chandelery).
They tell me that for aviation the unit should be registered with RAF
Kinloss so I have sent them an email and am awaiting their reply.

As the unit is registered to a person rather than a specific vessel I
can't see any problem.  I shall take it with me and will certainly not
hesitate to deploy it if the need arises, whether on land or water.  I
can always argue the toss later.

Richard Iddon G-RIXS

<mikenjulie.parkin@btinternet.com>

Richard,

I found this page - <http://www.seathree.demon.co.uk/plb/plb-3.html>
which
may be of interest.

The pertinent part is the following extract I think.

UK. 406 PLBs are legal in the UK - but only for maritime use.