Re: Europa-List: engines

Subject: Re: Europa-List: engines
From: Duncan McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 10:28:36

I don't think either the price or the dealer's mark-up will necessarily
reflect intrinsic value or value-for-money. It also depends on the
fitness-for-purpose of the design (and how it integrates with the design of
the specific aircraft), the efficiency with which the manufacturer executes
the design (CNC and low volume output cannot compete with high volume
traditional methods) and the manufacture's margin.
Then there's the question about whether the engine is priced for the market
or bench-marked against the market leader.

Of course, this same debate is well documented in the archives; so no point
in being drawn to further repeat it here. Except that the most important
aspect of an aero engine is again absent from the discussion (reliability).

Duncan Mcf.