Re: Europa-List: Build time

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Build time
From: KARL HEINDL <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 02:04:16

That seems a long time for an XS, but you are  probably making a lot of
mods, which can be a real time killer. I didn't count the hours, as that
seemed a pointless exercise, but it took me 2 yrs and 9 months. During that
time I also had a bad case of epoxy allergy for 6 months, and I had to work
for a living. I farmed out the instrument module to a so called
'professional up in Yorkshire (England), but then spent many hours
correcting about 7 wiring faults. I also had he seat cushion covers done by
someone else. I had no prior experience and always worked on my own (except
when bonding in the cockpit module). I made anumber of minor mods, but
nothing like what many of you guys in the States are doing to your Europas.
It then took another 18 or so months before first flight, but that delay was
not due to any build reasons, but waiting for the winter to pass, waiting
for an inspector, waiting for a test pilot, moving countries etc. etc..

Karl,  XS Trigear 392 C-FIRS