Re: Europa-List: Pre-Oiling

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Pre-Oiling
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 09:22:02
--> Europa-List message posted by: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@ac-grenoble.fr>

EuropaForum a crit :

>--> Europa-List message posted by: EuropaForum <Post2Forum@comcast.net>
>
>I was wondering what the clan thinks of pre-oilers? We installed one
>on the Cozy but the unit is BIG and heavy. I found this cursing the web.
>http://www.accusump.com/acc_products/acc_units.html
>The units are fairly small with no pumps or motors. I emailed the
>company and asked about installing on a rotax 914 or 912S and they
>said "yes this has been done many times,you will need to tap into a
>main oil galley, you can put a sandwich adapter between the oil
>filter or tap directly into the block." I will email Rotax dealer
>next, but thought this might be especially good for you turbo guys.
>Turbos take a beating until the oil get up to pressure...

Hi all,

I'm wondering, how do you intend to install this system ? In a Rotax oil
is SUCKED through the radiator before entering the oil pump, contrary to
ordinary engines where oil is DRIVEN through the  radiator downstream of
the oil pump.
I'm still puzzled as to how the donut thing could work in a Rotax where
there is no radiator line near the oil filter.
Any additional details ?

If cold temperature is a problem, why not change to a lighter grade oil
as per the Rotax book, and close the cowl flap ?
To date we've had no problems starting at -10Celsius and warming up
with a 914.
Of course I've kept idling with flap closed until oil reaches 40-50C.

Regards,

Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France
380 kg MCR 4S four seater, 157 kt TAS with Rotax 914