Europa-List: High Oil temperature

Subject: Europa-List: High Oil temperature
From: Peter Rees <peter.rees05@ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 22:11:11

Yet again on the scrounge for some advice:

When we run HI at 5000rpm, the oil temperature frequently gets above 130
(though we always throttle back before it gets any higher) - we often have
to pull it back to 4500 to keep the temp down - this only returns about
100kts.

The oil tank has been fitted such that the return pipe passes straight over
the exhaust - could this be increasing the oil temp significantly?

The prop (warpdrive) is quite coarse - could this be putting a heavy load on
the 80hp 912?

I have tried blocking the bottom of the cowl out by about 5mm - this seems
to have dropped a few C but still not enough.

Should I try blocking the bottom of the cowl out further? Should I block the
small gap above the rad on the stbd side to force the air through the rad?
Any other suggestions would be more than welcome as I should imagine its
cooking the oil quite nicely (we are changing it every 25hrs). Anyone know
where I can get some longer csk screws for the bottom of the cowl?

Peter
G-MFHI