RE: Europa-List: Electric trim problems.

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Electric trim problems.
From: R.C.Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 07:24:38

Thanks Cliff/Paul
I have the Menzimer purpose made relay deck. I don't think it is a wire
again because when the problem is present it is on both the stick
circuit (micro switch) AND the panel circuit (rocker switch and the LED
display have also replaced by Ray Allen Company)
As you say I must get a light into circuit(or two!) or even chance
changing the damn relay because that may cause a probable wire fault to
get thrown out!
I don't have a problem with the speed of trim.
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

  > I will have to try the light across the motor connections as has
been
> suggested but can any electronics wizards please advise if there is
any
> possibility that the relay deck may be causing this intermittent
> problem?
> Regards
> Bob Harrison G-PTAG EuropaMKI/Jabiru 3300

Bob

I have been referred to as such from time to time (wizard)

Relays are notorious for failures in the way you described. Some designs
of
relalys are better than others. It depends on there usage.  In the trim
motor usage, the current is quit low and the repetition rate of use is
very
low.  This requires a dust covered relay with a wiping action on the
points.

I don't know what kind of relay you are using. The ones I used are of
the
type I described and have not failed (yet).  I have a separate trim
power
switch, because the other problem that relays have is they stay
conducting
after you release the switch. (known as trim run-away)

The problem you have been describing sound more like a broken wire in
the
control column. (but you have two sets of up-down switches)

Happy hunting !!!!.  Use the light bulb trick and then you will know
which
end of the plane the trouble is in.

Cliff Shaw
1041 Euclid ave.