Re: Europa-List: Rotax 912S power issue

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rotax 912S power issue
From: Sidsel & Svein Johnsen <sidsel.svein@oslo.online.no>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:25:57

Cliff,

There was a thread recently on this forum regarding heat shielding the
carbs.  I did not copy any of it since I had then already made mine (having
reached same conclusion as you re. the 914 carb cups not being suitable for
912S w/carb heaters).

I made mine of thin s/s steel plate - 3 x 4 1/2 ", slightly curved along
short axis and edges folded back for added stiffness, brackets riveted
underneath for fixing the shield to the exhaust pipe by hose clamps.  Not
intended as fuel drip pans, only shielding carbs and fuel lines from direct
exhaust pipe heat radiation.  Looks good but NOT TESTED YET!

Will e-mail photos to you (realize I need to charge the camera battery
first!)

On the subject of fuel vapour:  In addition to firesleeves on all fuel
lines, I have heat insulation sleeves (claimed to reflect 90% of the heat)
on all fuel and lube oil lines forward of firewall, being careful to extend
these sleeves to also cover the connectors (e.g. carb fuel banjos) as much
as possible.  Purchased from Demon-Tweeks in the UK.

Regards,
Svein