Re: Europa-List: Rotax 912S power issue

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rotax 912S power issue
From: Cliff Shaw <flyinggpa@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:05:28

Sven den Boer

I think I had similar problems. I have done several thing and now things are
working much better.  It is very unnerving to do a clime-out and then back
off on the throttle only to have the engine start to run rough. When I went
back to full power it was OK and then ran rough again when I pulled the
throttle back a little.

One thing that helped was to remember to put the carb vent tubes in the air
box. This is not in the firewall foreword instruction, but it is in the
Rotax service manual. (I found it there later)  Another thing is to increase
the spring tension on the carbs for the throttle cable. The spring that
pulls the cable to full throttle. These springs are a bit week for the way I
installed the cables.

And the last thought on this problem is "carb ice" .  I thought at one time
that was the answer, now I am not so sure.  I did install Skydrive Carb
Heaters, and a bunch of work with the muffler (silence for the decedents of
my ancestors) to prevent backfiring and the resulting high temperature in
the lower cowling.

Cliff Shaw
1041 Euclid ave.
Edmonds, WA 98020