Re: Europa-List: Carb balancing - Differential presure gauage ?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Carb balancing - Differential presure gauage ?
From: Cliff Shaw <flyinggpa@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:33:29

Paul

I have the mercury manometer type of carb balancer. I got it at a motorcycle
shop. I saw the twin gauges from Lockwood, they should work too.  But I
think mine is much more accurate.

Your idea is not clear to me. A single needle could read plus or mines only
in a differential way.  That is the information you need to make the
adjustment, but I can not figure out how to hook up the hoses to do that.

I made 6 mm (I think they were) fitting for hoses and screwed them into the
intake manifolds. Then took one end off the cross-over pipe and plugged each
connection with two plug of the right size. With the manometer duct taped in
the passenger seat, I ran the engine and tool the reading. I found that the
adjusting nuts on the bowden cables were very  sensitive in the adjusting.
(one flat turn of the nut made a lot of difference)

I hope this helps.  The carbs need to be checked now and then.  It really
make a differance at less than full power settings.

Cliff Shaw
1041 Euclid ave.
Edmonds, WA 98020
425 776 5555