RE: Europa-List: It's not easy when you're stupid

Subject: RE: Europa-List: It's not easy when you're stupid
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 08:22:54
Received-SPF: none

>> Who knows what the pressure in the tank will be if the vent is otherwise
sited below the fus. aft of the cockpit.

Venting to static rather than to pressure isn't an issue. One of the Europa
demonstrators
was fitted with a static vent rather than a pitot vent to test the
prototype of what became my fuel gauge and this showed that it isn't a problem.
There are quite a few Europas now flying without the top vents and I haven't
heard of any problems to date with this configuration.

>> Certainly, if the aft-positioned fuel cap is left off a Europa during flight
then there is enough suction in the area of the open filler and therefore
the tank be able to pull all of the fuel out of the sight gauge.

Having done a 1 hour flight with the fuel cap missing in a top vented europa (it
was still hooked on the filler vents when I landed!), I can tell you that there
was no visible indication in flight that the tank was pulling all of the fuel
out of the sight gauge! Lesson learnt, won't do that again. :)

Regards

Tony

[Panel powered up, no smoke so far]