RE: RE: Europa-List: Finger Brake cylinder seals

Subject: RE: RE: Europa-List: Finger Brake cylinder seals
From: Richard Iddon <riddon@sent.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 16:47:18

It may be that your cylinders need cleaning out.  It is my understanding
that when delivered new, most of the Europa supplied finger brake
cylinders had a good deal of grey 'gunge' in them hidden in various
places. Neville tells me it is buffing soap, used to polish the
cylinders. It took me quite a long time to get this out of mine
originally and when I stripped them down again last week after approx.
100 hours flying I found that more seemed to have appeared. This stuff
can cause the pistons to stick and the brakes to become stiff.

I have stripped my cylinders down, cleaned them thoroughly again,
replaced the piston & seal assemblies (supplied by Europa) and replaced
all the silicone fluid in the system. My brakes are quite smooth to
operate now and don't need much pressure to become effective.

You might also check the stiffness of your shimmy damper. If set too
stiff, you have to haul on the brakes quite hard to persuade the
nosewheel to change direction.

Richard Iddon G-RIXS