RE: Europa-List: Flap Indicator

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Flap Indicator
From: R.C.Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 09:09:53

Hi! Jeff
As I said I'm not sure about the UMA Transducer to which you refer but
the unit I used was the Pos-12 position sender unit supplied by The Ray
Allen Company.  It has an operating travel length of 30mm (1.19"). I
found the best solution to provide use of this full range was a point in
space about 3/16" forward of the Flap Operating Arm (in my case the port
with the flaps in down position) about 1/14" above the fuselage floor. I
then bolted on to the arm a piece of flat aluminium suitably drilled for
a slender push rod to operate the sender unit positioned about 9" behind
the flap drive slot.
The Arc of the drive arm in this arrangement equates to approx. 30mm in
a straight line for the Unit and the bolt on item and hole stay above
the floor.
Since the unit is situated behind and above the flap drive slot I have
shielded it from weather by a passing the link through a "boot" of a
polythene bag completely enclosing the unit and sealed to the push rod.

I meanwhile guess that you know about the position visual markings
suggested by Europa for P1 to see on the upper surface of the port flap
relative to the wing surface?

Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG Europa MKI/Jabiru 3300