Re: Europa-List: Is Complex rating needed for a mono with long wings?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Is Complex rating needed for a mono with long wings?
From: rlborger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 08:19:47

Gentlemen:

Don't forget FAR 61.31(k)(iii)(B), from FAR/AIM 2005 (Changed since
last issuance).  Here are the pertinent sections:

61.31 Type rating requirements, additional training, and authorization
requirements.
(e) Additional training required for operating complex airplanes.
(i) Additional training required for operating tailwheel airplanes.
(k) Exceptions
  (2) The rating limitations of this section do not apply to--
   (iii) The holder of a pilot certificate when operating an aircraft
under the authority of--
    (B) An experimental certificate, unless the operation involves
carrying a passenger;

You had best check out this entire section from FAR/AIM 2005.  But the
way I read it all, if you are not carrying a passenger, you do not need
the complex and tailwheel endorsements.  If you ARE carrying a
passenger you DO need the complex and tailwheel endorsements.

I agree, that your insurance company will probably be the final
judgment in any case.

 > Actually this is interesting.  If you take a look at FAR 61.31K(ii)
part iv
 > you will find that you don't need things like tail wheel or complex
ratings.

 > What will probably force you to get training & ratings is the
insurance
 > companies.
 >
 > Paul
 >
 >> To fly a monowheel with short wings, I don't  think you need a
 >> complex rating since
 >> the flaps are linked to the gear.
 >>
 >> With the long wings, they do not have flaps, and the air brakes are
 >> not linked.
 >>
 >> Does pilot need a complex rating?

Good building and great flying,
Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Mono, 914, Airmaster C/S
http://forum.okhuijsen.org/N914XL
(75%)  Work on hold while I accumulate $$ to purchase the plexi, prop
and other parts that I'll never get from EMIL or E(04).  Meanwhile,
working on Instrument, Commercial, CFI & CFII ratings for potential
career change.
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208
Home:  940-497-2123