Re: Europa-List: Landing Gear Frame to Fuse

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Landing Gear Frame to Fuse
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:59:49

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Renshaw" <tonyrenshaw@optusnet.com.au>
Subject: Europa-List: Landing Gear Frame to Fuse

<tonyrenshaw@optusnet.com.au>

| Gidday,
| I am about to mount the landing gear frame to the front of the fuse, to
| bolt it up to the sides of the tunnel. So, I note on page 22-2 of my Issue
| 4 manual it states:
| "The correct location for the trame is when the top and side tubes which
| are in the vertical plane are within 1.5 to 3 mm (1/16"-1/8") of the
| firewall vertical plane."
|
| OK, I can do that but then it states:
| "Ensure that there is a gap between the top tube and the fuselage
structure
| of at least 5mm (3/16") for the rubber bungee, which assists landing gear
| retraction, to squeeze through"
|
| There is a problem in that both tubes are in the same alignment. When you
| get the vertical one at 5 mm and the base of the frame at 1.5-3 mm you
| create a wedge shaped, non consistent gap. If the top tube was set back
| from the vertical face when in position, all would be well, and this is
| what I expected after glancing at the frame and reading the manual. I am
| building a taildragger so it doesn't matter as much that I don't get the
| top 5 mm gap perfectly, but I am anxious that the cowls for example are
set
| up on this dimension, so I should maintain it irrespective of my
| undercarriage setup. Oh, whilst I think of it, I am wondering if the frame
| I should fill with redux where I bolt it up to the fuse? My mate downunder
| reckons it is just extra weight, and not in the manual. I have a long and
| chequered history of tightening things too much, and fear the same with
the
| landing gear frame mounting bolts. So, anyone else filled the area for
| bolting with flox and redux??? (I have plenty of out of date redux so
using
| it is not an issue for me)
|
| Reg
| Tony Renshaw
| Sydney Australia

Tony,
            I had the same reservations, but a comrade noted that the bottom
lateral frame component carries the mainwheel axis and for this reason needs
to be exactly athwartships, so I used that as a criterion rather than the
upper tube which only runs the top of the bungee formation. Is that of any
use?
Ferg
A064
PS: Saves taking off in a circle.