Europa-List: Recombinant Gas batteries

Subject: Europa-List: Recombinant Gas batteries
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 15:28:53

> I do not concur : the recombinant gas technology has been developped for the
> computer uninterruptible power supplies, and is largely spread. On the
> contrary, deep cycle batteries are now confined to traction duties. I seem
> to remember there are only two manufacturers remaining in the world.
>
> You'll have difficulties in finding specific "starting batteries" : the
> beste batteries for our applications are UPS batteries with large cranking
> current ability.
> For instance the Hawker SBS batteries sold by Lyndhurst Touchdown are
> recombinant gas floating batteries. But their scranking current is circa 400
> amps for the SBS 8 and 600-800 amps for the SBS 15. Those batteries perform
> very well  with Rotax engines.
> The SBS 8 cost 47 euros in France last year. They are manufactured in GB.
> Panasonic and Yuasa also make satisfactory models. Not forgetting Odyssey.

The current price list for Lyndhurst shows the 8 Ahr battery at 70 GBP plus
VAT and the 16 Ahr at 80 plus VAT.

The Yuasa battery NP17-12 I have is described as "designed for float or
stand-by use" and it was only 35 GBP plus VAT. And it has worked well, even
when caned (see below) !

Unfortunately time has moved on.

My starting problem is the sprag clutch. My 912S has done only 100 hours.
Admittedly all last winter it wouldn't start (due I think to crude in the
starting jet). So that caned it a bit - although it always started
eventually, after 10 or 15 minutes !

After finding (some) crud and cleaning it out it started OK for three
months, but in the last month it has got worse. Tuesday and Thursday this
week there was another 10 minute grind but it started. Wed it started first
turn of the key !

Yesterday it wouldn't start. No crud in the starting jet but I suspect there
may be some elsewhere. Tried jumping from the car. The prop is just not
turning continuously, it kicks back, and clicks quite a bit.

Which basically p*sses me off as I had a misfire for 9 months which I have
now fixed. (20 hours without a peep) I was looking forward to a few months
without removing the cowling.

So I am now open to suggestions, either in terms of the best way of fixing
it (and I hope, avoiding it happening again), or if anyone is interested in
taking on a slightly flawed low hours Europa. OK - I mean very flawed low
hours Europa.

:-)

Richard
Richard F.W. Holder                      01279 842804 (POTS)
Bell House, Bell Lane,                   01279 842942 (fax)
Widford, Ware, Herts,                    07860 367423 (mobile)
SG12 8SH                                 email : rholder@avnet.co.uk
Europa Classic Tri-gear : G-OWWW, High Cross
PA-28-181 : Piper Archer : G-JANA, EGSG (Stapleford)