Re: Europa-List: Recombinant Gas batteries

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Recombinant Gas batteries
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 20:33:47

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Holder" <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Subject: Europa-List: Recombinant Gas batteries

> A question for the techies out there.
>
> I have a starting problem, and one possibility is that my battery needs
> replacing. (I am working through testing other things).
>
> Everyone seems to rave about a form of battery called
>
> "gas recombinant" and the Odyssey has been mentioned.
>
> Now I have a Yuasa NP17-12I battery at the moment which is marked "valve
> regulated".
>
> My confusion surrounds the product details shown in various places which
> sometimes refers to gas recombinant sealed lead acid batteries and
sometimes
> as valve regulated sealed lead acid batteries.
>
> Are "gas recombinant" and "valve regulated" the same thing ?

Hmm, yes. But check the maufacturer website.
The terms "starved electrolyte", "valve regulated", "glass mat" etc...alone
or together are a good indication of the correct technology.
The features to look for are electrolyte absorbed in glass mats between the
plates, and a valve regulation  permitting the recombination of the gasses.
Such batteries can be installed in any position except upside down, and
their starting current is outstanding.

> If so am I likely to gain anything from using an Odyssey battery rather
than
> a new Yuasa battery ?

Check the respective documentation on the web.

> What sort of life would you expect from a Yuasa ? It is now two years old
> and seems to have plenty of capacity (it grinds away for ages !) but not
> much initial oooomph !

Did you make sure it is fully charged ? The open circuit voltage should be
around 12.7-12.8 volts.

Hope this helps,
Regards,

Gilles Thesee