Re: Europa-List: aileron closeout question

Subject: Re: Europa-List: aileron closeout question
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 22:13:34

>the A2 plate was not exactly flat
>on the foam

Andrew - My own rather long-winded approach to the drive bolt
alignment question can be seen on my build log website at
<http://home.clara.net/rowil/aviation/> - you can easily find it via
the list of pictures, and go from there into the text if you want
more detail.

BUT, I suspect that the alignment of the drive bolt may be of less
significance than the potential weakness arising from the various
layers of BID not being in intimate contact. The question that I'd
want answered before flying with that closeout is "Are all BID layers
in good glass-to-glass contact with adjacent layers, and with the XA2
plate?". If the whole layup is as intended, and the only airspace is
between the inner BID and the foam face, I'd be inclined not to worry
(personal opinion expressed here!). However, if there is airspace
between BID layers or between BID & ali plate, I'd feel much happier
taking it apart and re-doing it. Injecting resin into apparent
bubbles will not add strength! You may need to get the help & advice
of a experienced glass worker on all this, particularly if you feel
the need to do a repair. A glider repair person would the the ideal
consultant.

regards

Rowland