Europa-List: Styrene?? Poisoning

Subject: Europa-List: Styrene?? Poisoning
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 12:20:33

Gidday,
I want to know whether there could be a physiological response to breathing
sanded blue foam without a respirator. I have been diligent with my
respirator up till recently, as it often seems to irritate my skin, sweat
pimples etc, but on the last sanding occasion didn't wear one. I was only a
foot or so above the job, sanding away for a couple of hours...no big deal.
I use a vacuum cleaner when it builds up, and there was no apparent dust
cloud. Historically, I have treated the blue foam dust with the utmost
respect as I found it cut into my nose membranes and sinuses causing
significant discomfort. Whilst being slack on the last occasion I persisted
but didn't get the same symptoms, so I persisted. Questions:
1)Does this stuff give off a gas when you sand it, and if so what, and how
could one get effected?
2)If you breathed in a fine amount of invisible dust, could you have an
allergic reaction ?
3)If you can suffer an allergic reaction, how could this manifest?
In anticipation.

Reg
Tony Renshaw
Sydney Australia

Classic 236  B.B. Taildragger (possibly convertible)
Tail, Wings, Ailerons, Flaps Complete and Connected
Lower Fuse in Jig, Tail Torque Tube installed
Mass Balance assembly installed and deflections sorted
Intended Engine: 912S CS prop (model undecided)
Instrumentation: Undecided