Europa-List: Styrene?? Poisoning

Subject: Europa-List: Styrene?? Poisoning
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 11:41:55

Gidday,
I want to know whether there could be a physiological response to breathing
sanded blue foam without a respirator. I have been diligent with my
respirator up till recently, as it often seems to irritate my skin, sweat
pimples etc, but on the last sanding occasion didn't wear one. I was only a
foot or so above the job, sanding away for a couple of hours...no big deal.
I use a vacuum cleaner when it builds up, and there was no apparent dust
cloud. Historically, I have treated the blue foam dust with the utmost
respect as I found it cut into my nose membranes and sinuses causing
significant discomfort. Whilst being slack on the last occasion I persisted
but didn't get the same symptoms, so I persisted. Questions:
1)Does this stuff give off a gas when you sand it, and if so what, and how
could one get effected?
2)If you breathed in a fine amount of invisible dust, could you have an
allergic reaction ?
3)If you can suffer an allergic reaction, how could this manifest?