Re: Europa-List: Rotax Regulator Wiring

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rotax Regulator Wiring
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 19:08:25

> I am no expert on this but perhaps I can explain how I see it. As far as I
> can tell the two alternator yellow leads produce AC which is rectified by
> the regulator before going through the rest of the regulator circuitry. As
> all the AC power produced by the yellow alternator wires enters the
> regulator then its DC output can be seen as though the regulator and
> alternator combined are a DC generator. As such this 'generator' has to have
> a return back to the regulator case capable of handling it maximum output.
> With that in mind the use of 10 gauge cable as a minimum size is probably a
> wise precaution. Certainly if I had 20gauge cable I would look at upgrading
> to 10gauge just for piece of mind (new regulators are not cheap).

I had assumed that the earth from the regulator (I see now that it is called
a rectifier-regulator) was just something to provide an earth reference.
Mine is just 22 AWG. Nothing, anywhere, shows that it needs a large cable to
complete the circuit.

I will be changing it very very soon to 10 AWG (12 would be OK - will take
24 amps)

It might explain the somewhat inconsistent readings on my oil pressure and
oil and water temperature gauges. My 22 AWG is acting as a resistor when
carrying 10 amps or more.

I suppose the rectifier-regulator is really designed for bolting to the
chassis of a metal aircraft/motor bike. For our purposes it should have a
proper faston tag for the earth, just like all the other connections. Ring
connectors are more subject to corrosion.

Richard - still learning !

As a matter of interest I am looking for a co-owner for G-OWWW, Someone with
a mechanical bent/interest/knowledge of Europas. A deal could be negotiated.
Someone who lives in East Herts or West Essex would be best. If anyone is
interested, or knows anyone who might be interested, please contact me
initially on this email address, off list.

rholder@avnet.co.uk

Richard Holder