Re: Europa-List: panel material

Subject: Re: Europa-List: panel material
From: n3eu@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 00:04:45

Rob Housman wrote:
> ...My concern with a flat panel of un-reinforced epoxy-glass
> is that it would not be sufficiently rigid at 4 or 5 layers.

I agree, but carbon fiber cloth will be very stiff.  I did it that way
to make backing plates to affix my non-Europa main wheel fairings. At .080"
thickness, more than up to that rugged duty.  And using epoxy ain't in the
bible either, as I've noted polyester resins are typically harder than the
laminating resin we use.  No overnight cure needed either.

Note also, that material thicker than .100" can "recess" many instruments,
and for some that may look visually odd, even with chamfering the edges.
That I've found to be a fault with the stock, Europa wood-sandwich panel.

Regards,
Fred F.