Re: Europa-List: Tailwheel Attachment Ply

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Tailwheel Attachment Ply
From: JR Bob Gowing <gowingjr@acr.net.au>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:12:02

To Tony Renshaw in particular

Dear Tony

My stack is more like the wall of a dam - remember it has to have the metal
bar across the top. It slopes down on the front back but is wide across the
fuselage. The sloping sides help you lay the glass as well as spread the
load.

You could make up the stack of ply pieces roughly sized to what you want
with shorter bits of ply toward the bottom where it will be rounded to suit
the bottom of the fuselage and with bits of thin cardboard between to take
up the space of the glass layers. Hold it together with a small bolt; then
shape the piece, rounding the bottom to suit the bottom of the fuselage.
You could arrange a nail, say sticking up from a block of wood under the
fuselage up through the bottom of the fuselage where the bolt is supposed to
go later so you can thread your pieces of ply and glass onto it as you lay
them in flox. That way the pile has to come out exactly as you first made
it!

Best Wishes
J R (Bob) Gowing, UK kit 327 -
Singleton tailwheel in place, splash on pitch structure and pitch limits
set.
Now for setting wing pins.