Re: Europa-List: Fire wall heat shield.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fire wall heat shield.
From: James H Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:15:56

Alex,
        Don't cover the exhaust pipes with insulation.  It will cause
premature failure of the pipes.  I just shielded the pipes from other
parts on the engine.  Where the left rear pipe comes very close to the
pilots foot well, I mounted a thin stainless steel shield half way
between the parts and bolted the shield to the foot well.  This prevented
heat in the form of IR radiation from baking the foot well in that area.
I also made a shield for the right rear pipe to keep it from baking the
electronics and other goodies in that area. I have had no problems with a
too warm foot wells since I made those shields.  I fly in Florida so its
a bit warm here most of the year.

Jim Nelson
N15JN