Europa-List: JR (Bob) Gowing - UK Kit 327 in Oz

Subject: Europa-List: JR (Bob) Gowing - UK Kit 327 in Oz
From: JR Bob Gowing <gowingjr@acr.net.au>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 18:16:09

Dear Roger

I refer to Europa News, Issue No 38, Page 10, Build Matters -

The need for a commitment to regularly inspect swages made with the factory
supplied sleeves in swaging the control cables made me look into the change
of sleeves specified.

When I sought the 428-3VG at a nearby repair shop they did not know of them.

 I was referred to the latest (8th September 1998) US Advisory Circular AC
43.13 - 1B.

This shows on Page 7-34 that for copper oval sleeve stock number 28-2-G, as
issued with the kits, plated sleeves are required on stainless cable due to
electrolysis.

It seems to me that the Europa News could have pointed out that the FAA
recommends use of the factory supplied sleeves and hence the need to use the
other sleeves 428-3VG must indeed be very modest indeed as this size is not
even shown in the table in the FAA Advisory Circular.

It would seem a good idea to at least advise where the part number
originates and make more clear how insignificant is the need for change.

J R (Bob) Gowing, Secretary, Rotary Club of Bega NSW, District 9710